Frequently Asked Questions

  • What personal technology will I need while completing the program?

    Students will need digital storage media (flash memory sticks 4+ gig). You also need to configure your free KU personal web space for posting your portfolio and class projects. KU student go to the KU Information Technology account page to set your personal web space.

    The University and School of Education labs offer a rich array computer and media technology for students. Though not required, students also typically own a personal portable computer with basic software for developing educational technology. A list of the software used in the program's instructional labs can be found at the School of Education Instructional Labs

  • How long will it take me to complete the Masters Degree?

    The Master of Science in Educational Technology program consists of 36 hours of coursework, a practicum, an exam and the production of a portfolio. Typically it will take 2 or more years of part time study. Full time students taking 9 hours or more hours per semesters including summer courses have completed the program in as few as 4 semesters 18 months. See more at Masters Degree under the Academic Programs tab.

  • How long will it take me to complete the PhD Degree?

    The Ph.D. degree involves 40 hours at KU beyond masters including a 12-hour minor plus a minimum of 18 hours of dissertation. Degree completion requires passing a comprehensive written and oral examination with the major culminating dissertation. Students working part time can complete the degree in as few as 3 years. See more at Doctoral Degree under the Academic Programs tab.

  • What jobs are available once I finish the degree?

    Master's students choosing from one of the program's three concentrations in the 1) Integration, 2) Design and 3) Administration of Educational Technology will have many career opportunities. While PhD graduate direct their studies through their selection of a minor and dissertation topic. Graduates focusing on the Integration concentration are likely to pursue jobs as: online educator, training specialist, curriculum designer and educational technology teacher, and professor. Graduates of the Design concentration often seek positions as: instructional designers, instructional coordinators, instructional systems analysts, courseware developers, distance education specialists, media producers, educational technology consultants, information specialists, online course developers, educational assessment specialists, and webmasters. Administration graduate will aspire to positions as director of instructional development, director of online learning, virtual school administrator, director of continuing education, director of corporate training or educational technology coordinators in K-12 schools, community colleges, and universities. See more under the Why KU Ed Tech? tab.

  • Can I find work at KU while completing my degree?

    The School of Education offers graduate teaching assistantships that enable students to be employed while completing an advanced degree. The School also offers a range of Scholarship and Financial Aid opportunities. See more at Financial Aid under the Students tab.

    There are also many nationally recognized centers that offer part time employment including: the eLearning Design Lab (eDL), Advanced Learning Technology (ALTEC), Center for Educational Testing and Evaluation (CETE), Information and Telecommunication Technology Center (ITTC), and the Center for Research on Learning (CRL). For the links and descriptions see Centers and Labs under the Centers and Services tab.

  • What are the graduation timelines each semester?

    For both the Masters and the Doctorate degrees, all coursework and degree requirements must be completed by the end of the graduating semester.

    Generally the Masters Exam and Doctoral Dissertations must be turned into your committee AT LEAST 6 weeks prior to the Stop Day in the graduating semester. This is because the department, school and university all require time process the status and the faculty committee should have adequate time to review the exam or doctoral dissertation.

    Due dates for the culminating written activities vary each semester. The six week prior to stip day is only a rugh estimate. YOU MUST check with your advisor for exact due dates that apply to your graduating semester. For example, for students who expect to graduate in Spring 2013, the Masters Exam and Doctoral Dissertations must be turned into the committee no later that April 3 2013.

    Due dates for the Portfolio are generally the last session of the 896 Seminar in Educational Technology class. You will also present your portfolio in the last session of the 896 Seminar class during your graduating semester.

  • How do I comply with KU's review of human subjects in research requirements?

    1. Got to KU's Human Subjects in Research Website and read the HSCL New Application Process pages. Note that there is a faculty and student application form.

    2. You will need to complete the online training by following link to the Human Subjects Tutorial.

    3. If you are conducting a survey you should attach the survey and a permission page that follows the guidelines in the HSCL Forms (linked from KU's Human Subjects in Research Website). the survey should open with

    4. If the survey is online the permission statement should open with a statement that allows the participants to opt out if they choose. Here is an example:

      Educational Technology Survey

      The Educational Technology Committee is conducting this annual survey of faculty and staff in an ongoing effort to improve and adapt the educational technology support services, technical infrastructure and professional development resources in ways that advance the School’s teaching, research and service mission.

      The survey has only 5 pages with questions and should take no more than 10 minutes to complete. Your responses will remain anonymous. The Department of Educational Leadership and Policy Studies at the University of Kansas supports the practice of protection for human subjects participating in research. Your participation in this survey is strictly voluntary. You may quit the survey at any time by clicking "Exit this survey."

      If you have questions or suggestions concerning this survey, please contact Pat Smith (

The University of Kansas prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, national origin, age, ancestry, disability, status as a veteran, sexual orientation, marital status, parental status, gender identity, gender expression, and genetic information in the university’s programs and activities. Retaliation is also prohibited by university policy. The following persons have been designated to handle inquiries regarding the nondiscrimination policies and are the Title IX coordinators for their respective campuses: Executive Director of the Office of Institutional Opportunity & Access,, 1246 West Campus Road, Room 153A, Lawrence, KS 66045, 785-864-6414, 711 TTY (for the Lawrence, Edwards, Parsons, Yoder, and Topeka campuses); Director, Equal Opportunity Office, Mail Stop 7004, 4330 Shawnee Mission Parkway, Fairway, KS 66205, 913-588-8011, 711 TTY (for the Wichita, Salina, and Kansas City, Kansas, medical center campuses).